Centre for Excellence
Player Development Programme (PDP)
Centre for Excellence
The Centre for Excellence forms part of the Player Development Programme at Doncaster Rovers. As an Academy our philosophy is to invest in the young players of Doncaster. It isnt possible for us to come out and watch every game on a Sunday morning but we are aware that there are players who want to learn whilst having fun in a safe environment and some who also want to excel in the game and play with our Academy. The Player Development Programme offers all players of Doncaster an opportunity to train with the Academy at different levels not only to get them a place on the ladder into the Academy but more importantly, to develop their individual techniques and skills.
Ben Mawson firstname.lastname@example.org
2012/2013 Centre for Excellence
The programme will start in September 2012 for players aged 7-14. The Centre for Excellence will be located in 3 areas across Doncaster. Players from all clubs are eligible to join but places are limited at each centre.
What is the Centre for Excellence?
The Doncaster Rovers Centre for Excellence is a programme created to aid in player development. This centre will provide an enjoyable and enriching environment for players to learn a disposition and ability for “taking players on”, displaying a willingness to try new things, make mistakes and most of all shown a desire to be part of the Doncaster Rovers philosophy. The programme follows the Academies comprehensive training programme for in depth technical, tactical, psychological, social and physical, player centred development featuring 1v1 skills helpful to excel at football but hard to learn and not always taught to all our players.
Who is Eligible?
Any U7 to U14 player is eligible for participation in the Player Development Programme. There is no selection or invitation process for the Player Development Programme, sessions running at Rossington Sports Village on Mondays throughout the Year. However, the other centres are invitation only. If the number of players interested in participating in the Centre for Excellence exceeds the number of places available in a selected centre, selections will be made and alternatives will be offered.
Interested players are encouraged to register online.
What do Centre for Excellence Participants do?
The Centre for Excellence features regular training in the program locations. The program will be comprised of two 14 week blocks, plus one festival, with boys and girls trained together upto the age of 10. Individual player’s technique will be emphasised with sessions focusing upon 1v1 tricks; turns, shielding, striking the ball, short passing and small team play. Sessions will be scheduled based on the availability of staffing and suitable facilities.
What are the Goals of the Centre for Excellence?
- To teach and refine individual skills with children from as many different clubs as possible.
- To challenge the children to take their newly acquired or perfected skills back to their club, and assist their teammates in learning them.
- To teach young players to make decisions in a game-like setting using the appropriate techniques, thereby improving their technical development.
- To offer routes for progression into the Academy for players.
What are the Benefits of Participating in the Centre for Excellence?
- This developmental program will be “player centred” and not “coach controlled”. Specifically, the teaching focus concentrates on those “individual skills” that are used most by players and needed to excel in football.
- Development as an individual player.
- The opportunity to train and play with players outside of one’s club.
- Quality instructions from experienced, qualified Academy coaches.
- Tickets to Doncaster Rovers games
How Long does the Programme run for?
Each Programme is 14 weeks in length. At the end of the programme players receive a review and option to sign up to another 14 week programme.